Come Get Some

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Videogames

For maybe a couple years now I've thought that my desire to make videogames was no more. Recently I started reading 'Game Over', a history of Nintendo. I'm not very far into it, but it has already had an effect on me. I've found myself getting...well....misty eyed when the author introduced the various people whose work I grew up loving. Even as I think about it now I get a little emotional. Just now I completed 'Dragon Quest VIII'. It is a well executed game basically across the board. And between 'Game Over' and this, I'm left thinking that I should at least try to make a game. I mean, it is what I grew up wanting to do. Making games was the original reason I even decided to take the first CS course in college. I should make a game. Maybe the game will be stupid. Maybe no one will play it. But I should make it. I owe it to the seven year old version of myself that first played at Atari 5200.

Conveniently, I need to retire from Microsoft. My career there has been pretty good, but in the current environment there really is no reason for me to stick around and try to battle for more promotions. I can probably quit, make a videogame, and come back at a much higher play level. Talk about having your cake and eating it too. Word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home