Come Get Some

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

.Net Framework 3.0

Well, I've been playing around with beta 2 of the .Net Framework 3.0. Yes, I know that there are later releases I could use, but I'm trying to get stuff done not just play so I had to pick something relatively stable. The three major additions in Framework 3.0 are workflow, communications, and presentation. Let me cover each individually.

Workflow - This technology appears to be a complete waste of time. I imagine that some people will use it and for a couple of them it might even save them time. Of course, I worked on the team and I can say that most of the "decision makers" are/were lacking in customer empathy. Let's move on.

Communications - Ah, Indigo. So, six years of effort seem to have produced something at most moderately more useful than WSE 3.0. Sweet! Oddly, these dudes are less incompetent than the workflow guys, which is why workflow got reorg'd to report to the same people. However, they seem to have no idea that what they have built is 2/3rds wasted effort. The primary skill of leadership seems to be creating false confidence.

Presentation - Holy crap! This stuff is great! I have been able to use it to build an app that actually looks professional. I've likely barely scratched the surface, but what I've seen already addresses many of my core complaints with Windows Forms. I can't wait to play with some of the designers and such. And the WPF/Everywhere thing only serves to increase my excitement. Word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home