Come Get Some

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Townhall

Today some of them Microsoft higher-up types announced some changes to the compensation and review system. I don't have all the details, but overall this seems like a positive set of changes. Getting rid of "the curve" seems to be the thing that most people are liking. However, this ends up being a relatively minor change. It will remove the need to label some people as "underperforming" when they really aren't. The other thing is does is remove the possibility of getting screwed on the curve and then having to explain it to a new group. On a cogent personal aside, I basically left the last team I was on because they gave me a 3.5 on my review. However, I got a good (though only by current MS standards) raise, bonus, and stock award. Without the score, maybe I don't leave. Of course, the cliquish nature of the group and the lack of accountability would still have been there so maybe I still do. And getting reorged into Indigo Land, where the reality distortion field and lack of accountability is palpable, yeah, I think I still move on.

Towels, supplies, dry cleaning, etc. - yeah, cool, bring 'em on. All minor, but all good. And good is good.

Bigger potential stock awards for high performers - can't complain about this. I'm sure a bunch of schmucks will get these awards, but some good people should as well. So that's good news.

Management accountability - I'll believe it when I see it. It would be interesting if we even know what some of the senior management were being judged on. Like, let's say you caused millions of man-hours of lost productivity pushing a technology idea that was clearly a disaster waiting to happen right from the beginning. And let's say that technology is called WinFS. Who is accountable for that? And how is it that they are being held accountable? How about the flaming sack that is Indigo?

Process transparency - anyone who didn't know how the process works wasn't trying. All you have to do is read mini.

I think that's all I know about. Again, goodness. The really interesting info won't be available until the 30th. That's when managers will find out what the various raise/bonus/award numbers are. Those numbers not sucking like the last 3 years will do well more to raise morale.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home